We are just about halfway through the academic year and your mentoring program. Mentoring is a shared opportunity for learning and growth, and we hope that you are enjoying your mentoring relationship. During this holiday time, Mentoring USA would like to thank you for giving the greatest gift all…your time, energy and caring.
Giving gifts to your mentee:
- It is certainly okay to give your mentee a modest gift for the holidays or for his/her birthday. Keep it simple and inexpensive.
- Gifts that say “I’m thinking of you” or “I really value this relationship” are the best, such as books, magazines, photographs.
- Do not give your mentee a gift that his/her family could not afford.
- Never give your mentee a gift in the presence of other mentor/mentee pairs. Some students may receive gifts and others might not, which can create problems or put other mentors in a difficult position.
- We want our youth to understand that the purpose of having a mentor is not to receive cool gifts, but to develop a friendship with a caring adult.
JANUARY IS NATIONAL MENTORING MONTH
National attention will focus on the need for mentors and how each of us individually and through our businesses, government agencies, schools, faith-based communities and non-profits can work together to increase the number of mentors making a brighter future for our young people. Here are three easy ways you can help:
- Share your mentoring experience with your friends, family, co-workers and place of business; put up flyers; or promote us on your company intranet or in social media.
- Email your stories about what makes your mentoring relationship special so we can share them on social media! Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help inspire and motivate others to be a mentor.
GIVE BACK. BE A MENTOR
This time of year it’s easy to get swept up in consumerism. At Mentoring USA, we want to stay grounded in what the holidays are really about: giving, connectedness, gratitude, and sharing acts of kindness.
Give to Mentoring: Whether $5 or $500, every dollar counts and your contribution will be used to keep our work going—and growing. CLICK HERE to donate now.
Volunteering: Mentoring is the gift that keeps on giving. Refer a friend, family or co-worker.
Together, we can forge powerful, transformative connections for young people and for those who need them most.
From all of us at Mentoring USA,
Stephen, Sandy, Sam, Keith, Dimple, Joe & Jane—Mentoring USA Staff