Thursday, September 4, 2014 (New York City): Mentoring USA is recruiting Mentor Volunteers now. We need caring adults (over 21 years of age) who want to serve as a positive influence in a young person’s life. Be a supportive adult role model for an underserved child!
Studies have proven that quality mentoring can be one of the most rewarding experiences in a person’s life. YOU can make a difference in a child’s life, as well as in your own. Consider the many benefits that mentoring offers young people:
- enhancing academic success
- improving workforce readiness
- reducing juvenile crime
- increasing self-esteem
- revealing new opportunities and career paths for youth
- strengthening communities
Mentoring USA has many different types of programs to suit everyone’s needs and busy schedules. You will receive training and consistent support from Mentoring USA’s team throughout your relationship with your Mentee.
Listed below are mentoring sites in New York City that need mentors this fall. All sites run late September 2014 through June 2015 (unless otherwise noted):
- The St. Ann School: The program will meet every other Saturday from 10:00 AM to Noon. Mentees are in 4th and 5th grade and the program will focus on building a strong and supportive adult relationship to encourage academic and social success.
- PS 7- I Have a Dream After School for Mentees ages 7 to 9. The Program meets every other Monday from 3:30- 5:30 PM, and will focus on academic success. The first half hour is spent on improving reading skills.
- East Bronx Academy is part of our Mentoring for Real program with the NYC Department of Education for young men between the ages of 14-17. Mentors/Mentees meet every other Saturday from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
- St Charles Borromeo School is for students in 6th and 7th grade and will meet every other Friday from 5:30- 7:30 PM. This is a general mentoring program to encourage self-respect and academic success.
- The Center for youth ages 16-22. This program will meet every other Wednesday, from 6:00 – 8:00pm, and will run from late September through the end of April 2015.
- Help Genesis Homes in East New York, Brooklyn. Day and time in development.
We hope you will become part of the Mentoring USA Family and help positively change the life of a child – as well as your own!